Today’s classicist-styled castle was built by baron Bornemissza (II.) Ignác at the middle of the 19th century. When building the castle, they used the remains of the Bethlen-Thököly Mansion House, especially the stone elements of its tower house and its gatehouse. The Tuscan columns at the façade facing the courtyard reflect most the classicist style. The building is U-shaped and its side buildings both have atriums, thus it reminds us of the castle from Drág.
The Brașov Fortress is located on a hill, 64 m above the city of Brașov, at 651 m above sea level. The hill's eastern side belongs to Old Brașov and its western side to Bolonya. The Fortress was built in wood in 1524 and it contained a semi-circle tower surrounded by a wall. In 1529, Petru Rareș the Moldavian vajda who supported king John conquered and demolished the citadel of Brasov that took king Ferdinand's side.
Most probably the settlement became the property of the Brukenthal family, after purchase, sometime in the second half of the 18th century. It is said that the construction of the first castle was started by Samuel von Brukenthal, in the mid 18th century and later, at the beginning of the 19th century, his nephew (I) József changed it. The castle is a solid building with over 1 m thick walls.
The predecessors of the Csáky family settled down in the village at the end of the 16th century, when Báthory Zsigmond, prince of Transylvania, donated the estate to Csáky István, the captain of the Transylvanian army. He started to build a classicist-style castle on the estate in 1808. At its time, this was the largest castle in the whole region.
The mansion got its today’s form after several reconstructions. These transformations led unfortunately to the loss of its original ornamented character. First, a new mansard roof with double roofing was added to the building, and later this part of the building was further enlarged with a whole annex to the northeastern side of the mansion. Moreover, there was added another modern annex to the backside of the original building, which is completely different in style from the original one.
There is a memorial plaque at the forefront of the building, which reveals that Zathureczky Emília, the wife of Cserey János, used to live here. She was a great collector. In 1875 she founded a museum, and her collection became its central part. She dedicated her collection and her museum to the Szeklers in 1879, and her collection was the basic of today’s National Szekler Museum.